Turnips might not be as intuitive to cook as potatoes, but turns out when you give ‘em the smashed potato treatment they’re just as delicious.
Get the recipe for crispy smashed Parmesan baby turnips:
Sign up to get your fresh produce delivered with Misfits Market!Print
For the turnips:
- 12–16 baby turnips, washed and tops trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
- ½ cup crème fraîche (substitute: plain whole milk yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon chives, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a medium pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add in turnips and cook until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and dry turnips, then place on baking sheet.
- Take the bottom of a glass and press gently on each turnip until they flatten out.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, grated garlic, and pepper. Brush olive oil mixture on each turnip, then generously cover each in Parmesan. Carefully flip each turnip over, repeating with the olive oil mixture and Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until turnips are golden and crispy on both sides.
- For the sauce, combine crème fraîche, chives, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Serve turnips topped with chives and the sauce on the side.