This crisp has all the flavor of your favorite apple pie, minus the stress of dealing with a tricky crust. Feel free to use any apples or pears you have on hand, or our favorite, a combination of the two. It’s truly as easy as, well, pie.
Try fresh produce delivery with Misfits Market
Get the recipe for Apple and Pear Crisp:Print
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 5–6 apples and pears (about 6 cups), peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ½ cup of brown sugar, oats, pecans, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Add butter and use fingers to rub butter into the mixture until no dry spots remain.
- In a large bowl, toss fruit, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Spread apple and pear wedges evenly in a buttered baking dish or cast-iron skillet.
- Scatter oat topping over the apples and pears, then bake for 40 to 50 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving with yogurt, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.