Next time you’re standing over a hot grill, might we suggest throwing some lemons on for a super refreshing, large-format cocktail? The heat helps release their juices, making ’em well-suited to salad dressings or drinks. To mix up a mocktail, just leave out the liquor or choose a non-alcoholic spirit.
Get the recipe for Grilled Lemon-Cilantro Punch:Print
- 3 lemons, thinly sliced
- 5 medium lemons, halved
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups tequila or preferred spirit like mezcal or gin
- ½ cup cilantro, mint, or basil, plus extra for garnish
- Club soda
- Place halved and sliced lemons over medium-high heat on the grill and cook until char marks appear, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer sliced lemons and halved lemons into separate bowls and let cool.
- Juice the charred, halved lemons into a measuring cup. (You should get about 1 cup.)
- For honey simple syrup, add honey and water to a small pot and heat on low, stirring occasionally until honey has melted. Let cool completely.
- In a large pitcher, add lemon juice, honey simple syrup, tequila, 4 cups crushed ice, grilled lemon slices—reserve 6 for serving—and cilantro (or other herb of choice). Stir to combine.
- Fill an old fashioned glass most of the way with the cocktail (including some ice) and top it with club soda. Add cilantro and a grilled lemon slice on top for garnish. Cheers!