When you need dinner in a hurry, it’s quesadillas to the rescue. They cook up quickly, can be filled with any odds and ends from your fridge, and are a near-universal crowd pleaser. And this version, filled with spiced skirt steak and charred scallions, is no exception.
Get the recipe for skirt steak quesadillas:Print
Skirt Steak Quesadillas
- Yield: 4 1x
- ½ pound skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 5 scallions
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- For serving: guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce
- Season steak with olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Cook on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Then, slice steak into strips or cubes.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, char scallions over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until scallions become browned. Transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop.
- In a clean pan over medium heat, lay down 1 tortilla and spread a generous layer of cheese over half of the surface. Arrange steak and scallions over the cheese, then fold the other side of the tortilla over the cheesy side to form a half-moon shape. Cook, pressing down gently on the surface, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Repeat and make three more quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and serve with guacamole, sour cream, and hot sauce.
Hungry for more? Try this:
Better-Than-the-Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches
Shrimp Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce