When it comes to potato salad, coleslaw, and tuna salad, it’s all about that mayo base.
To serve, dollop dressing over your base of choice, such as boiled potatoes for a 2-minute potato salad, mixed in with tuna for an easy tuna salad, or used as a salad dressing over crunchy greens and tomatoes.
Get the recipe for the easy mayonnaise-based dressing that’s perfect for all types of summer salad:Print
Creamy Mayo Dressing for Salads
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: .5 cup
For the dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons pickles, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Mix in with:
- Boiled potatoes
- Blanched broccoli and thinly-shaved Parmesan
- Crunchy greens and fresh tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers and red onions
- Pasta salad with sliced olives and peppers
- Canned tuna salad
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, herbs, vinegar, salt, and lots of black pepper.
When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this creamy mayo dressing will last for up to 5 days.
What’s the difference between mayo and mayo dressing?
|The main difference between mayo and mayo dressing comes down to a difference in ingredients. Traditional mayo is made with a base of egg yolk, oil, and vinegar which is then emulsified together. Some homemade mayo recipes call for additional ingredients like garlic and fresh herbs, which blurs the line between regular mayo and mayo dressing. Mayo dressings, like Thousand island, are mayo-based salad dressings that adds ingredients such as herbs, spices, and different types of kinds of vinegar.|
Want more? Read on:
Charred Romaine Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing
Love your recipes. . I cook lots an love salads . Home made dressing is the best
Thank you for sharing, Nelda! We love salads and homemade dressings too. We hope you can give this recipe a try sometime soon! We’d love to hear your thoughts. 😋