With a Cara Cara orange sauce, ricotta-whipped cream, and a ricotta-orange batter, these pancakes are pretty much as over-the-top as you can at breakfast time.
Get the recipe for Cara Cara Ricotta Pancakes:Print
Cara Cara Ricotta Pancakes with Ricotta Whipped Cream and Cara Cara Sauce
Cara Cara Sauce:
- 1 cup cara cara orange juice
- 2½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cara cara orange zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cara cara orange, peel removed, segmented
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup whole milk ricotta
Ricotta Whipped Cream:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cara cara zest
- ¼ cup cara cara juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Neutral oil, for cooking
- For the sauce: Add orange juice, sugar, and butter, and set to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and reduce until syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, then add in orange sections. Keep sauce warm on the stove while making the pancakes.
- For the pancakes: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together milk, ricotta, eggs, and vanilla extract. Then add Cara Cara zest, juice, and butter (it will curdle a little bit, but don’t worry).
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Whisk to combine (some lumps are okay!).
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and brush with a neutral oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter onto the skillet and cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip the pancake and continue to cook until golden brown on the other side as well. Transfer pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the ricotta whipped cream: Add heavy whipping cream to a bowl or stand mixer and whisk to form soft peaks. Then add in ricotta and continue whipping until medium peaks form.
- Top pancakes with a dollop of ricotta whipped cream and a couple spoonfuls of orange syrup.
Check out our favorite citrus recipes that we’ll be enjoying all season long.
Then, try even more Cara Cara orange recipes:
Bobby Flay’s Crepes Suzette with Cara Cara Orange Sauce
Chocolate-Dipped Cara Cara Orange Slices