With a little patience and assistance from your freezer, it’s easy to scrape together fruity snow cones at home. Not only is this rendition bright and fun to make, it’s also a low-stakes way to get kids involved in the kitchen. (And to cool off on a hot afternoon!)
Get the recipe for kiwi granita:Print
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 5-inch piece of ginger, lightly crushed and cut into 1-inch slices
- 8 kiwis, skins removed, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 mint leaves
- 1 lime
- Add sugar, water, and ginger to a small pot. Heat over medium until the sugar dissolves, then remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, discard the ginger slices.
- Place kiwi in a blender with ginger simple syrup, mint leaves, and the juice of 1 lime and blend until smooth. Pour the kiwi mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Freeze the dish for about 2 hours, until mostly frozen. Using a fork, break up the granita into slushy bits. Freeze again and repeat two to three more times every 30 minutes until the granita is slushy.
- Divide granita into bowls and serve with a slice of kiwi.