It’s not too late for watermelon sugar—the song or this delicious three-ingredient granita. Just don’t toss those rinds. Save them for homemade pickled watermelon rinds to top on even more refreshing cocktails.
Get the recipe:Print
- 1 mini watermelon, cubed and rind discarded
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons agave or simple syrup
- Optional: mint leaves and chili salt for serving
- Place watermelon into a blender and pulse until smooth. Add lemon juice and agave and blend again to mix. Taste the watermelon mixture and add more lemon juice or agave if needed.
- Pour the watermelon mixture into a fine mesh sieve over a glass or ceramic baking dish. Use a rubber spatula to help push the juice through the sieve, discard the pulp and seeds. Freeze for about 2 hours, until watermelon granita is mostly frozen. Using a fork break up the granita into slushy bits. Freeze again and repeat two or three more times every 30 minutes until the granita is slushy and icee like.
- Divide granita into bowls and serve with some mint leaves or chili salt.
Like this? Try one of these recipes:
Summer’s Best Tomato and Watermelon Salad
Sweet-and-Spicy Watermelon Margarita