Cold weather means an abundance of heavy, hardy winter squash—and an abundant need for recipes to use the full gourd. This vegetarian-friendly meal idea uses the entire acorn squash plus a ton of other veggies you probably have in your box right now, like carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms. Customize this dish with your favorite grains, veggies, and sausage (vegan or otherwise) for a weeknight dinner that even the pickiest of eaters will love.Print
No need for plates with this dish! Acorn squash halves are stuffed to the brim with veggies, sausage, and grains for a simple weeknight dinner that uses a ton of veggies from a single Misfits box. Swap in vegan sausage for the perfect vegetarian-friendly dinner any night you need to eat down the fridge.
- 3 small acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or alternative like farro or quinoa)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, trimmed and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms of choice, diced
- 1 package vegan Italian “sausages” or regular sausage
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice to remove the tops from the acorn squash. Scoop out seeds and discard to compost or use in another recipe.
- Coat squash with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a large cast iron or oven-safe pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, bring 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to medium heat. Add vegan “sausage,” onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms with remaining salt and pepper. Cook for about 6-9 minutes or until tender.
- Add vegetable stock and cooked rice. Stir and cook for additional 3-5 minutes or until stock starts to evaporate. Turn off heat.
- Remove pan from oven, then increase oven heat to broil. Scoop cooked vegetable and rice mixture and stuff into each squash until full. When ready, return the cast iron pan into the oven for 2-3 minutes or until edges of squash brown slightly. Remove when ready, then serve immediately. Enjoy!