Tonight’s dinner is inspired by that viral salmon bowl TikTok (you know, the one with the ice cube) but even easier. Plus, the leftover rice will be used in tomorrow’s dinner, and a lot of the fresh ingredients can be used throughout the week.
Get the recipe:Print
Spicy Mayo Salmon with Quick Pickles
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- 3 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 6-ounce salmon fillets
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 seaweed packs
- Preheat broiler to high and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the quick pickles: place cucumbers, rice vinegar, 1½ teaspoons salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Use your hands to massage the cucumbers, mix in sesame seeds, then set aside.
- For the salmon: combine mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl. Coat the bottom of the lined baking sheet with olive oil, then place salmon fillets on top. Season all sides generously with salt, then spoon mayonnaise mixture evenly over top of both fillets.
- Bake until the salmon is mostly opaque but slightly pink on the inside and the top is golden and slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice. Top with pickled cucumbers, sliced avocado, scallions, and seaweed on the side.
Previous: How to Make 5 Delightful Dinners Using a Single Misfits Market Box
Next: Garlicky Chicken Congee
Problem: not supposed to use parchment paper Under a broiler, or over 450 – paper burns!! Recommend you suggest aluminum foil instead, or highest heat allowable for baking.
Also in step 4 you mention baking the salmon rather than broiling it. Might need to revise this direction.
Quantity of mayonnaise seems too much for just 2 6 Oz. filets.
Position salmon skin side down?
Hi, Deborah. We truly appreciate you sharing this feedback and we will let our recipe development team know about your recommended adjustments. We do like cooking the salmon skin side down to ensure the top of the salmon browns and crisps. Thanks so much for you input!
Thanks for a great recipe! I tried it following the steps . Worked out great! Definitely making this again !!
We’re so happy to hear you loved it, Christine! 🥰
Where does one get seaweed packs?
Hi, thank you for reaching out! We often source seaweed sheets, so you may be able to locate this in our pantry aisles depending on availability. Alternatively, we suggest checking online or at your nearest International/ Asian grocery store. We hope this helps!
Just made this and I loved it! Fast and easy and so delicious!! By chance I had everything on hand. Definitely going in my keeper recipe book. Didn’t change a thing from the recipe except used one larger cucumber vs small ones.
Yay! Thank you for sharing, Tracy, We are so happy to hear you enjoyed giving this recipe a try. We’re sure it turned out fabulously 😋🙌