The eternal struggle of what to do with leftover rice. Fried rice with lots of veggies is a good go-to option, but if you’re looking to try something new, day-old rice can easily become the base for a deliciously hearty rice soup—AKA congee. While sometimes served plain as a side, our congee is full of meaty chicken, fresh ginger, and savory broth. Everything is topped off with a fragrant garlic-infused oil that you’ll want to pour over almost everything.
Get the recipe:Print
Spicy Garlicky Chicken Congee
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1-inch ginger, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil like grapeseed or canola
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1½ teaspoons soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- For the congee, combine leftover rice, chicken broth, chicken thighs, and ginger in a medium pot. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked through, then remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Cover rice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice has soaked up the broth and is cooked to your desired consistency, about 25-35 minutes. (Note: the longer you cook the rice, the thicker it will become.) Once the congee is nearly finished cooking, remove ginger. Shred chicken thighs and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, combine soy sauce and chili flakes in a bowl and set aside. Heat oil over medium-low heat until just shimmering. Carefully add garlic to oil and cook, carefully swirling frequently, until garlic is golden brown and crispy, 5-6 minutes. Using a fine-mesh strainer, pour hot oil over the soy and chile mixture, making sure to catch the garlic. Let garlic cool completely before adding it to the bowl. (This ensures the garlic stays nice and crispy in the oil). Mix chile-garlic oil with a spoon and set aside.
- Divide congee among bowls, then top with chile-garlic oil, cilantro, and scallions.
Previous: Spicy Mayo Salmon with Quick Pickles
Next: Meatball Shakshuka
Related: How to Make 5 Delightful Dinners Using a Single Misfits Market Box