Creamy, cheesy, and full of garlic, potatoes, and leeks—what’s not to love about this comforting gratin recipe? Serve it at your next brunch and be prepared for your guests to ask for second and third servings. The surprising ingredient they won’t be able to catch? Sweet coconut milk that adds an extra layer of surprising flavor.Print
Potato Leek Gratin
Cheesy gratins are a staple at holiday dining tables as a side that’s sure to please. Swap in vegan butter and vegan cheese (any melting cheese will do!) to make a lighter, vegan-friendly dish.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small leeks, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Gruyere, grated
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 stalks of scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, add butter and garlic and bring to medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until garlic starts to brown.
- Add flour and whisk until it thickens into a wet “dough.”
- Stir in cheese, then add coconut milk and salt. Turn off the heat and whisk until combined.
- Add potato and leek slices and gently toss until everything is coated with the cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a 9-inch x 9-inch pan (or equivalent) and bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Top with sliced scallions, let cool, and serve!
When you mention sweet coconut milk, are you talking about the one with sugar or just describing coconut as sweet?
Hi Deb! Great question. We’re just referring to coconut milk that already has a natural sweetness to it.