Cheesy gratins are a staple at holiday dining tables as a side that’s sure to please. Swap in vegan butter and vegan cheese (any melting cheese will do!) to make a lighter, vegan-friendly dish.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small leeks, washed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Gruyere, grated
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 stalks of scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, add butter and garlic and bring to medium heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until garlic starts to brown.
- Add flour and whisk until it thickens into a wet “dough.”
- Stir in cheese, then add coconut milk and salt. Turn off the heat and whisk until combined.
- Add potato and leek slices and gently toss until everything is coated with the cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a 9-inch x 9-inch pan (or equivalent) and bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Top with sliced scallions, let cool, and serve!