What happens when you swap orzo for the usual arborio rice in risotto? A wonderfully creamy and tender union that’s even better with some lemon zest and juice to balance the richness.
Get the recipe for Lemon Spinach “Orzotto:”Print
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 cup orzo
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup baby spinach
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter until foamy over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté until fragrant and translucent. Add the orzo and black pepper and toast for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.
- Pour in the chicken stock and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the liquid is almost absorbed and the orzo is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in spinach, butter, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Season orzo with salt and pepper to taste. Divide “orzotto” among bowls and serve with olive oil drizzled over top.
Check out our favorite citrus recipes that we’ll be enjoying all season long.