- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 cup orzo
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup baby spinach
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter until foamy over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté until fragrant and translucent. Add the orzo and black pepper and toast for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and cook until absorbed.
- Pour in the chicken stock and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the liquid is almost absorbed and the orzo is tender. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in spinach, butter, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Season orzo with salt and pepper to taste. Divide “orzotto” among bowls and serve with olive oil drizzled over top.