We’ve all been there. You’re standing in front of your fridge or pantry and you simply don’t know what to make. Or, it’s the end of the week and your kitchen is full of little bits of this and pieces of that and you just can’t figure out a cohesive dish or know how to put it all together. That’s why we’re introducing a recipe series called “Eat Down the Fridge.” It’s full of easy-to-follow recipes and totally customizable dishes that can be made quickly while using a lot of ingredients you likely have in your fridge.
A simple stir fry is one of the easiest ways to use leftover rice and whatever veg you have on hand. As long as you have soy sauce, you can pretty much use any grain, any veggie, and any garnish to achieve the same flavor. Get your filling protein from eggs served on top and have fun customizing this dish week after week!
Reminder that this dish is supposed to be customizable based on what you have in your fridge and pantry. Broccoli and cauliflower are interchangeable (or combinable!), any onion will work, and any grain alternative will be tasty depending on what you have on hand. The point of this dish is to add in any leftover bits and pieces that would otherwise go to waste—and still end up with a totally tasty dinner.Print
Freestyle Fried Rice Skillet
A simple stir fry is one of the easiest ways to use leftover rice and whatever veg you have on hand. As long as you have soy sauce on hand, you can pretty much use any grain, any veggie, and any garnish to achieve the same flavor. Get your filling protein from eggs served on top and have fun customizing this dish week after week!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 red or yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup peas or green beans
- 1 cup cauliflower or broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked rice (brown, wild or quinoa are all great alternatives)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chives or scallions, sliced
- 3 cooked eggs (sunny side up, boiled, or scrambled are all great options!)
- In a medium-large skillet, bring oil to medium heat. Add in carrots, onion, peas, and cauliflower. Cook for 3 minutes before stirring.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until garlic is incorporated and the vegetables are soft.
- Add rice and soy sauce. Cook for an additional 3-6 minutes. Stir until well combined.
- In the meantime, fry or cook eggs according to preference—or omit if you’re vegan!
- When ready, turn off the heat and transfer the cooked eggs to top your grains and veggies. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This is a fantastic meal! Thanks for posting it.
This sounds great. Sometimes we need to be reminded that it’s that easy. Thanks.
We had this tonight! So good ..rice, carrots, green onions, sweet peppers, and squash. It was delicious!