Since both leeks and celery root are veggies that often beg the question “what the heck am I supposed to do with this?” it was the perfect opportunity to bring them together. These delicate, crunchy latkes can help you use up the last of your celery root—celery root season is nearly over, so enjoy them while you can!—and get the most out of your leeks. Plus, everything tastes better fried!
Though latkes are traditionally a Hanukkah dish, we’re always looking for an excuse to eat them year-round, which is why we’ve updated the classic potato latke recipe for enjoying Passover. To make these Passover-friendly, simply use matzo meal instead of flour. For every cup of all-purpose flour, sub in 5/8 cup of matzo cake meal.
Watch now to learn how to make these crispy latkes:Print
Crispy Celery Root and Leek Latkes
- 1 1/2 pounds of celery root, peeled and grated
- 2 leeks, light green and white parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Crème fraîche
- Use the large holes of a box grater or a food processor with a grating disc to grate the celery root. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the celery root and toss to combine. Let celery root rest for 5 minutes to allow access liquid to release. Transfer celery root into a clean kitchen towel and wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer celery root back to a large bowl and add in leeks, flour, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper, and mix until flour is absorbed. Add eggs and mix again until fully combined.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, pour in about a 1/4-inch of oil. Once the oil is hot (drop in a little bit of batter to test, the oil should sizzle), add 3-4 large spoonfuls of batter into the pan. With a spatula, press down on each latke to flatten. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side, until latkes are very browned and crispy on both sides. Transfer latkes onto a paper towel-lined cooling rack to drain excess oil, and sprinkle a little bit of flaky sea salt on each one while hot. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with crème fraîche.
Where is my misfit package today
Hi, Janet. We’re more than happy to check on the status of your order for you! If your account doesn’t have the latest shipping information, our customer success team can look into this. Please send your request to (https://www.misfitsmarket.com/contact-us). Our customer success team will report back as soon as possible.