When we say this soup has all of the greens, we mean it. Think: fruits and veggies like zucchini celery, leafy greens, and even a Granny Smith apple. A splash of sweet coconut milk and a good blitz in the blender makes for a surprisingly creamy soup.Print
Creamy Coconut and “All of the Greens” Soup
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 inches ginger, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini (about 2 cups), chopped
- 1 small bunch celery (about 4 cups), chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 bunches of leafy greens (kale, chard, etc)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove seeds and grind into a powder.
- Add oil to the same pot and turn heat up to medium-high. Cook shallots, garlic, jalapeño, and ginger until everything softens and garlic becomes slightly golden, 3-4 minutes. Add zucchini, celery, and apple to the pot and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables (and fruit) are soft, 12-15 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in coconut milk. Add in leafy greens, one handful at a time, cooking until tender and leaves are bright green. Remove pot from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup until completely smooth. (Or, transfer everything to a blender in batches and blend until smooth.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup evenly into four bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Want to learn how to make even more soups at home? Check out our handy soup guide to learn how to make any brothy, any creamy, or any chunky soup. Then, check out our favorite soup recipes.