When we say this soup has all of the greens, we mean it. Think: fruits and veggies like zucchini celery, leafy greens, and even a Granny Smith apple. A splash of sweet coconut milk and a good blitz in the blender makes for a surprisingly creamy soup.Print
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 inches ginger, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini (about 2 cups), chopped
- 1 small bunch celery (about 4 cups), chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 bunches of leafy greens (kale, chard, etc)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove seeds and grind into a powder.
- Add oil to the same pot and turn heat up to medium-high. Cook shallots, garlic, jalapeño, and ginger until everything softens and garlic becomes slightly golden, 3-4 minutes. Add zucchini, celery, and apple to the pot and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables (and fruit) are soft, 12-15 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in coconut milk. Add in leafy greens, one handful at a time, cooking until tender and leaves are bright green. Remove pot from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup until completely smooth. (Or, transfer everything to a blender in batches and blend until smooth.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup evenly into four bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!