Anyone else out there refuse to eat broccoli or cauliflower as a kid unless it was slathered with cheese? This one’s for you. The magic still happens when cheese meets cruciferous veggies, but instead of trying to disguise some limp, steamed veg, we’re enhancing the nuttiness of these amazing vegetables by baking them. (If you’re still in the anti-broccoli camp, pour the cheese sauce over cooked pasta instead for a tasty spin on macaroni and cheese.)Print
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 sprig rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 12 ounces total)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut 1-inch pieces (about 12 ounces total)
- 1 cup Gruyère or Swiss cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a large casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the pot and melt. Stir in the flour to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is lightly golden in color, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk gradually to the pot, using a whisk to combine. Do same with the cream, then bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon, 5- 7 minutes. Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower to the pot and toss well to fully coat. Then, add broccoli cauliflower sauce mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle both grated cheeses evenly over the surface.
- Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden, 35-40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
WE just joined, but there are no ordering instructions. How do we Order?
Hi Sandi, great news! Welcome to The Misfits Market family!
When your weekly customization 3-day window opens, you should receive an email from Misfits Market with a link that will take you directly to that page. (Please check your spam to make sure emails from us are not going there.) Additionally, you can log into your account and visit your account page. Click “Upcoming Box” and if your window is open, you can start building your box right there! You’ll be able to add produce to your box based on what we’ve rescued that week and then also add in premium add-ons from our Marketplace.
If you’re having issues finding where and how to customize, please fill out a ticket with our customer success team here: https://help.misfitsmarket.com/contact/custom-contact-form-S1NAIK1Iw Your message will be added to our queue and our team will be in touch with you via email as soon as they can. Thank you!