Sugary-sweet pears are the perfect base for—you guessed it!—even more sugar. Sweet homemade caramel tops cinnamon-baked pears for a dessert that can be enjoyed in 30 minutes. Not a fan of pears? Simply swap in apples for a similarly sweet dessert.Print
Sugary-sweet pears are the perfect base for—you guessed it!—even more sugar. Sweet homemade caramel tops cinnamon-baked pears for a dessert that can be enjoyed in 30 minutes. Not a fan of pears? Simply swap in apples for a similarly sweet dessert.
- 5–6 pears (we used Bosc pears), sliced in half lengthwise and de-seeded
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 5–6 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place pear halves facing up in an 8-inch cast iron pan or oven-friendly pie dish. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon over the pears. Transfer to the oven for 25-30 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, use a small sauce pot to make the salted caramel. Place sugar and water into the pot and bring to medium high heat. Do not touch or stir! Allow it to boil until it turns a golden color, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once golden, immediately remove from heat and add salt, vanilla extract, and butter. Stir.
- Gradually pour in coconut milk while continuously mixing until smooth. Set aside until pears are ready. The sauce will thicken as it settles.
- When pears have finished baking, remove from oven and place a tablespoon or so of chopped walnuts into each pear. Drizzle salted caramel over the walnuts and pears and transfer to a serving dish.
- Put any remaining caramel into a separate dish for extra servings. Serve pears as soon as possible and enjoy!