Bobby’s here to mix things up—literally—with a refreshingly new way to use your bar cart. Watch him break down each step for his Spiced Greyhound, from making simple syrup from scratch to muddling lots of fresh grapefruit and lime. Skip the liquor for a refreshing mocktail. It’s crisp and sweet, with just enough of a kick for an exciting evening at home. We’ll cheers to that.
Bobby’s Spiced Greyhound Cocktail
Ginger Allspice Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 grapefruit, segmented and pith removed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 ounce Ginger Allspice Simple Syrup
- 4 ounces vodka or gin
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- Cold club soda
- For the spiced simple syrup, combine the sugar, water, allspice berries, and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and let steep for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Strain into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- For the cocktail, use a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon to muddle the grapefruit segments and lime wedges in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add the vodka (or gin), lime juice, and 1 ounce of simple syrup. Fill the cocktail shaker three quarters of the way full with ice. Stir and taste for balance. Add more simple syrup as needed. Shake until it is very cold, then evenly divide between two cocktail glasses filled with ice.
- Top with sparkling water to taste. Garnish with a slice of grapefruit and serve immediately. Enjoy!
For a mocktail version, simply omit the liquor in step 3. Then, in step 4, add more sparkling to taste. Enjoy!