Nachos just might be the world’s perfect dish. The flavors, the colors, the textures, the ability to customize based on whatever you have in your fridge—if you’ve got tortilla chips, cheese, and fresh produce, you have the base for delicious homemade nachos. (Hey, even if you just have chips and cheese, you’re set.)
For this Game Day version, we added jalapeños, diced onions, fresh cilantro, a vegan-friendly cheese sauce, and chorizo. But why stop there? Add carnitas or sofritos. Chopped lettuce. Or, take these in a sweet and spicy direction with diced mango or pomegranate arils. The options are endless—and good luck stopping after a few bites.Print
- 12 ounces chorizo (or vegan alternative)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan alternative)
- 7 1/2 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in 2 1/2 cups hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons nacho-spiced nutritional yeast (or nutritional yeast mixed with nacho seasonings like cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and red pepper flakes)
- 1 cup sour cream (or vegan alternative)
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan alternative)
- Optional toppings: diced onions, diced peppers, fresh cilantro, scallions, shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add butter. Add onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Next, add chorizo and chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. Cook for another 6-9 minutes or until the mixture begins to brown.
- Drain water from cashews. To a blender, add cashews, miso paste, nutritional yeast, sour cream, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Pour the cashew blend into the chorizo mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Layer tortilla chips, chorizo mixture, and shredded cheese, alternating until the pan is filled. Transfer to the oven and bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with diced vegetables, herbs, and more shredded cheese. Serve while warm and enjoy!