- 12 ounces chorizo (or vegan alternative)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan alternative)
- 7 1/2 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in 2 1/2 cups hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons nacho-spiced nutritional yeast (or nutritional yeast mixed with nacho seasonings like cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and red pepper flakes)
- 1 cup sour cream (or vegan alternative)
- Juice from 1 small lime
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan alternative)
- Optional toppings: diced onions, diced peppers, fresh cilantro, scallions, shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add butter. Add onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Next, add chorizo and chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. Cook for another 6-9 minutes or until the mixture begins to brown.
- Drain water from cashews. To a blender, add cashews, miso paste, nutritional yeast, sour cream, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Pour the cashew blend into the chorizo mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Layer tortilla chips, chorizo mixture, and shredded cheese, alternating until the pan is filled. Transfer to the oven and bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with diced vegetables, herbs, and more shredded cheese. Serve while warm and enjoy!