Add some rainbow flare to your festival of lights. These multi-hued latkes call for colorful produce in place of potatoes—an excellent way to use up all the veggies in your box. We used orange carrots and deep red beets here, but you could also try crisp white parsnips, golden beets, bright green zucchini, and even purple cauliflower. Add some horseradish-flavored sour cream sauce to kick these up a notch, or opt for traditional apple sauce instead. We say go for both.Print
- 2 cups vegetables like red beets, gold beets, carrots, or potatoes (depending on color preference), shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red onion, shredded
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Frying oil like sunflower, canola, or vegetable oil
Sour Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon scallions or chives, minced
- In a large bowl, add the shredded vegetables (not the onions) and season with salt. Mix and let sit for 15-20 minutes to draw out the excess moisture.
- Put veggies in a cheese cloth, squeeze tight to strain excess liquid, and return veggies to a dry bowl.
- Add onion, eggs, and flour and mix until well combined.
- Use a spoon, small ice cream scoop, or your hands to portion the mixture into 8-10 latkes. Gently flatten and transfer to a tray.
- Add a half inch layer of oil to a large pot and bring to medium heat. To test the temperature, drop a small piece of latke into the oil. If it bubbles, the oil is ready. Working in small batches, place latkes, 2-3 at a time, into the oil to fry.
- Flip after 3-4 minutes or golden, then repeat with other side.
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel-lined tray and repeat with remaining latkes.
- Afterwards, prepare the sour cream sauce. In a small bowl, whisk to combine sour cream, horseradish, salt, dill, and chives.
- Serve immediately by spooning the sour cream mixture on top of the latkes. Finish with freshly cracked black pepper and additional chives and dill. Enjoy!