- 2 cups vegetables like red beets, gold beets, carrots, or potatoes (depending on color preference), shredded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red onion, shredded
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Frying oil like sunflower, canola, or vegetable oil
Sour Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon scallions or chives, minced
- In a large bowl, add the shredded vegetables (not the onions) and season with salt. Mix and let sit for 15-20 minutes to draw out the excess moisture.
- Put veggies in a cheese cloth, squeeze tight to strain excess liquid, and return veggies to a dry bowl.
- Add onion, eggs, and flour and mix until well combined.
- Use a spoon, small ice cream scoop, or your hands to portion the mixture into 8-10 latkes. Gently flatten and transfer to a tray.
- Add a half inch layer of oil to a large pot and bring to medium heat. To test the temperature, drop a small piece of latke into the oil. If it bubbles, the oil is ready. Working in small batches, place latkes, 2-3 at a time, into the oil to fry.
- Flip after 3-4 minutes or golden, then repeat with other side.
- When cooked, transfer to a paper towel-lined tray and repeat with remaining latkes.
- Afterwards, prepare the sour cream sauce. In a small bowl, whisk to combine sour cream, horseradish, salt, dill, and chives.
- Serve immediately by spooning the sour cream mixture on top of the latkes. Finish with freshly cracked black pepper and additional chives and dill. Enjoy!