We’ve all been there. You’re standing in front of your fridge or pantry and you simply don’t know what to make. Or, it’s the end of the week and your kitchen is full of little bits of this and pieces of that and you just can’t figure out a cohesive dish or know how to put it all together. That’s why we’re introducing a recipe series called “Eat Down the Fridge.” It’s full of easy-to-follow recipes and totally customizable dishes that can be made quickly while using a lot of ingredients you likely have in your fridge.
If you have 1) a grain like quinoa, rice, or farro, 2) onions, bell peppers, squash, or potatoes, and 3) the spices necessary to make a spiced Mexican-style seasoning, then you have everything you need for a simple weeknight meal in the form of this one pan dish. If you don’t have these spices but have a packet of taco seasoning then that can work, too!
The best part about this dish is that it’s super customizable. Potatoes and squash are interchangeable (or combinable), any onion will work, whatever can of beans you have will work, and any grain will work depending what you have on hand. The point of this dish is to add in any leftover bits and pieces that would otherwise go to waste—and still end up with a totally tasty dinner. The recipe is only limited to your imagination.Print
If you have 1) a grain like quinoa, rice, or farro, 2) onions, bell peppers, squash, or potatoes, and 3) the spices necessary to make a fragrant Mexican-style seasoning, then you have everything you need for a simple weeknight meal in the form of this one pan dish. If you don’t have these spices but have a packet of taco seasoning that can work, too! The recipe is only limited to your imagination.
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (or any potato) or winter squash, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small red, yellow, or white onion, diced
- 1 small green, red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, or poblano pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa or grain of choice (like farro, rice, or even lentils)
- 2 cups cooked black, pinto, or garbanzo beans (or another bean of choice)
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions or chives
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a medium-large skillet, bring cooking oil to medium heat. Add the cubed sweet potatoes, peppers, and onions and stir to coat. Add all of the spices, including salt and pepper, and stir to coat.
- Cook for 9-12 minutes or until sweet potatoes are browned and soft.
- Add quinoa and black beans to the skillet, stir, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with optional garnish of green onions and cilantro. Enjoy!