Ever met one of those couples where you think, I wouldn’t have thought to fix them up together, but it just works? Brussels sprouts and leeks are one such duo. They truly bring out the best in each other, and that’s on full display in this lemony veggie salad.
The silky texture and nutty taste of the caramelized leeks softens the natural bitterness of these baby cabbages. Toss in some earthy peas and a spritz of brightening citrus, and you have a total crowd pleaser. It makes the perfect side dish for Sunday dinners or can even be a veggie-centric main for lunch. Best of all, it requires only one pan, so clean up is a breeze!Print
- 2 stalks of leeks, sliced lengthwise and cleaned, then sliced into 1/4” pieces (you can also substitute with a half an onion, diced)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups fresh peas or thawed frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a large saucepan with the olive oil and add leeks, tossing to coat evenly. Turn the heat to medium and sauté until they’re caramelized, about 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally, adjusting the heat accordingly so the leeks don’t burn.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and peas to the pan. Cook for 9-12 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are cooked thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and cheese over the vegetables and toss to coat vegetables evenly.
- Serve warm.
Our thanks to Monique Sourinho for creating this recipe. Make sure you check out her website https://www.beethelove.net for more delicious meal ideas that often use Misfits veggies!