There’s nothing better than a warm salad alongside a hearty dinner on a cool fall night. Because it can be bitter and a little tough, kale needs a simple sauté in garlic and oil to help to cut some the sharp taste and soften the leaves. You’ll be left with garlic-infused kale, the perfect flavorful base for any autumn salad. We like this one with thinly-sliced beets and onions.Print
Simply sautéing kale for a few minutes helps to remove some of its toughness while also infusing it with flavorful garlic, hence your warm garlicky salad! Top with earthy radishes and nutty vegan feta cheese for a filling fall salad that you’ll return to time and time again.
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and cleaned
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red beet, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, dairy or vegan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Clean beets and remove the stems. Peel and cut in half, then slice into thin 1/8-inch slivers.
- Peel red onion and cut into similar 1/8-inch slivers.
- Gently massage the kale leaves for 3-5 minutes and then roughly chop.
- In a large pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil of your choice and bring to medium heat.
- Once warm, add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add kale and gently toss to coat. Add salt and pepper and continue to stir.
- After 3-5 minutes, kale should be slightly wilted and deeper in green color. Remove from heat and place into a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon, add red onion and beets, and stir.
- Transfer the salad onto a serving tray. Top with crumbled feta and serve immediately.