Why limit your smoothie intake to summer? If anything, transitioning into fall just gives you more ingredients to play around with! Here, we take a few fall apples, a frozen banana, and add in fresh mint and lime juice for extra flavor. What really takes this smoothie to the next level though is the homemade ginger syrup. We like to make it in advance and have it on hand for smoothies… or cocktails or drizzle it over pancakes.Print
Ginger Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 gala apples, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 1 frozen banana, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup ice
- 2 cups water
- Optional garnish: apple slice, fresh ginger, mint leaves
- Optional: Make your own homemade ginger simple syrup! In a saucepan over medium heat, add water and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar, then add the sliced ginger. Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- After 15 minutes, remove the ginger simple syrup from the heat. Allow the syrup to cool and the ginger to steep for at least an hour. Then, strain into a glass jar where the syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- For the smoothie, put the remaining 2 cups of water, apples, ginger syrup, banana, mint, lime juice, and ice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to cups and garnish with optional apple slices and mint leaves. Enjoy!