Sweet apples, fresh celery, and anise-like fennel come together in a refreshingly crisp salad that you can prepare in just minutes. Use peak fall apples for even more flavor and customize this dish as you wish! The flavors would also pair nicely with spicy arugula and crunchy jicama.Print
This simple crunchy salad is full of crisp textures and fresh flavors. Sweet peak-season apples and crunchy celery help temper some of fennel’s licorice flavor. Serve it as a side to heartier fall dishes like chicken pot pie or even an eggy quiche.
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 3 apples, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Start with the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt. Set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the bulb off fennel and slice in half lengthwise. Then, slice the halves as thinly as possible to create half rings.
- Core and slice the apples as thinly as possible. Preserve apple slices in the dressing to soak up the flavor and avoid browning.
- Cut celery stalk into 1/4-inch thick slices. Roughly chop walnuts.
- Transfer the fennel, celery, and walnuts to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing with apples on top and gently stir. Serve immediately.