This simple crunchy salad is full of crisp textures and fresh flavors. Sweet peak-season apples and crunchy celery help temper some of fennel’s licorice flavor. Serve it as a side to heartier fall dishes like chicken pot pie or even an eggy quiche.
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 3 apples, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Start with the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt. Set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the bulb off fennel and slice in half lengthwise. Then, slice the halves as thinly as possible to create half rings.
- Core and slice the apples as thinly as possible. Preserve apple slices in the dressing to soak up the flavor and avoid browning.
- Cut celery stalk into 1/4-inch thick slices. Roughly chop walnuts.
- Transfer the fennel, celery, and walnuts to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing with apples on top and gently stir. Serve immediately.