These roasted carrots have everything you’d want in a recipe. Fresh produce, a spicy-sweet sauce. Some crunch from both nuts and fruit. It feels festive for the holidays, or just extra special during your regular weeknight meal.
Toss carrots with fresh winter oranges, garlic, fennel seeds, and maple syrup, blended with lots of harissa, a spiced North African chili pepper paste. Roast everything together to be rewarded with a perfectly caramelized carrot.
- 2 pounds small carrots, trimmed, scrubbed, and cut in half
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2½ tablespoons harissa paste
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ navel orange, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, lightly toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, harissa paste, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Toss carrots and orange slices with harissa mixture, then spread into an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing half way through, until carrots become tender and caramelized.
- Plate carrots and top with pistachios and pomegranate arils. Serve and enjoy!