This isn’t your canned chicken noodle soup you may have grown up on—this is the Misfits Market take on classic chicken soup. Fresh ginger, garlic, and scallions make for a fragrant and flavorful soup that’s both warming and filling thanks to lots of chicken and meaty mushrooms.Print
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breast
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced
- 2 stalks scallions, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 small handful of cilantro (about 1/4 cup), plus extra for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 cups water
- 8 ounces mushrooms of choice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons white pepper powder
- 2 bunches dry thick noodles like udon or boba
- To a medium pot add chicken, garlic, ginger, scallions, cilantro, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorn, salt, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked, 12-15 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer into a clean pot and discard solids.
- Add mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, and white pepper to the broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broth is fragrant and flavorful, 15-17 minutes. Meanwhile, shred chicken and cook noodles until al dente.
- Divide noodles among four bowls and top with broth and mushrooms. Add shredded chicken and garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!