Nothing beats savory roasted Brussels sprouts. But when raw, the tiny veg packs a serious flavor punch—and crunch. Ditch your normal greens for a salad base made with shredded Brussels sprouts instead. Green or purple will work. Then, top the crunchy leaves with sweet dates, apples, and a tart lemon vinaigrette. Consider it your new side salad.Print
Use crunchy green or purple Brussels sprouts, plus sweet conventionally-grown dates from our Marketplace to make this bright side salad. To make it a full meal, add 1 cup of shredded roasted chicken to the raw ingredients. Mix well to combine and spoon into 10-inch tortillas to make Brussels sprouts and chicken rollups for lunch.
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, cored and thinly sliced
- 6 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 large apples of choice, cored and diced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper until well combined. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, add Brussels sprouts, dates, apples, and sunflower seeds. Toss to thoroughly mix.
- Cover with dressing and stir to mix. Serve immediately and enjoy!