Thanks to its mild flavor and buttery texture, the chickpea is one of the most versatile legumes around. We always keep a can on hand—grab your own in The Marketplace—for simple snacks like roasted crunchy chickpeas and creamy hummus. It’s also one of our favorite proteins for vegetarian-friendly dinners like quick curries.
Here, we combined sweet butternut squash and coconut milk to complement spicy green curry paste. Serve over basmati or jasmine rice, or even soft boiled potatoes. The best part is how quick this recipe comes together. You just might like it better than takeout.Print
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive, vegetable, sunflower, or canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon green curry paste
- 3 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Basmati or jasmine rice, cooked
- Add oil to a large pan and bring it to medium heat. Once warm, add the butternut squash and cook for 6-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash begins to soften.
- Add onions and peppers. Cook for an additional 6-10 minutes or until the pieces soften and start to brown.
- Add coconut milk, green curry paste, chickpeas, and soy sauce. Stir until combined, then fold in the basil leaves. Cook for 10 more minutes, occasionally stirring.
- When ready, turn off heat. Give another stir, then serve with rice, or even boiled potatoes, and garnish with more fresh basil. Enjoy!