Winter just might be the best season for homemade juicing due to the plethora of citrus fruit, root veggies, and leafy greens, which add sweetness, nutrients, and a hint of earthiness to fresh-squeezed juice.
The juicing process itself is relatively straightforward, but you do need a few key supplies:
- A sharp knife
- A vegetable peeler
- A juicer or blender
- A mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- A grater or microplane (optional)
- A bowl or large jar
Once you’ve secured your supplies and misfit produce of choice, it’s time to start juicing! You can follow this method for most of your fruit and veg, with the exception of ginger root, which doesn’t require a blender or juicer at all.
- Before using a blender or juicer, roughly chop your fruit and veg into large chunks. (Keep the skin on for most produce, except for mango and citrus.) Then, carefully pulse in a blender or add chunks of produce to your juicer as per machine instructions. If using a blender and the fruit or veg is too thick to be considered a juice, add water 1-2 tablespoons at a time until you get a slightly waterier texture.
- After using a blender, you’ll need to strain your juice and pulp through a thin mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a large bowl or jar. This method allows you to remove the pulp while keeping the juice pure and chunk-free. If you use a juicer, you are good to go after the first step.
- For ginger, you can use a grater or microplane to finely grate it into a cheesecloth (or strainer) over a bowl. Then, follow the same method of squeezing ginger pulp to remove the liquid.
Following this method, you can easily juice the below—all fruit and veg from your Misfits box!
- Greens (kale, leaf lettuce, celery, and cucumber)
- Citrus (lemons, limes, grapefruits, and oranges), peeled
- Beets, greens included
- Mangoes, peeled
- Ginger root, grated
Once you’ve juiced your favorite produce, now comes the fun part: combining everything together for sweet, earthy, and grassy juices that can be enjoyed morning, noon, and night. You can even add fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro—the options are literally endless. Play around with various portions of each juice to find your perfect balance of flavors. Here are some of our favorite combos:
- Cucumber + Celery + Apple
- Carrot + Apple + Beet + Ginger
- Carrot + Orange + Apple + Ginger
- Kale + Cucumber + Celery + Lemon + Apple + Ginger
- Kale + Celery + Apple + Lemon
- Carrot + Orange + Ginger
- Beet + Cucumber + Carrot
- Pear + Beet + Ginger
- Apple + Celery + Ginger
- Carrot + Mango
- Orange + Mango + Ginger
What are your favorite juice combinations? Inspire us in the comments below!