If you’ve ever been stuck with leftover rice and no inspiration, then we’ve got a delicious solution for you: fried rice. Utilize your leftover grains plus whatever green veggies you have on hand—kale, chard, or even a bunch of fresh herbs—for a fast and filling dinner in minutes. (Garlic, however, is a must. Always.)
Watch now for our go-to way to make sure nothing goes to waste at the end of the week:
And get the full recipe here:Print
Garlicky Golden Fried Rice with Greens
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing wine or mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups chilled leftover white rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, leaves removed from stalk and torn into 1-inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger, sliced into thin matchsticks
- Kosher salt
- Separate eggs: Put yolks into a medium bowl and whites into a small bowl. Add shaoxing wine (or mirin), sesame oil, and white pepper to the yolks and mix to combine. Add rice to the yolk mixture and toss to coat, making sure each grain is evenly covered.
- Add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil to the egg whites and mix.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add egg white mixture and cook, constantly pushing with a rubber spatula, until just set, around 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon of oil into the same skillet. Add leeks and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Mix in kale and cook until leaves are wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and transfer kale mixture to the plate with egg whites.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and cook garlic and ginger until very fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and yolk mixture and spread into an even layer across the skillet. Season with salt and let cook undisturbed for 1 minute. Toss rice and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the rice looks cooked and starts to get crispy.
- Return egg whites and kale mixture to the skillet with rice. Using the spatula, break apart the egg whites and mix to combine everything until warmed through. Serve immediately and enjoy!