Summer might be winding down, but there’s still time to make use of one of our favorite summertime staples: juicy stone fruit. For our second seasonally-inspired cooking class with Food52, we’ve teamed up with Rick Martinez for a sweet-meets-savory meal that utilizes end-of-season produce and juicy grilled chicken thighs.
Get the recipe:Print
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- 1 1/3 cup peach preserves
- 3 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic clove, finely grated, divided
- 1 pound kale or leafy green lettuce
- 4 large ripe peaches, cut into wedges
- 1 pint mixed small tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Season chicken thighs generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Place chicken on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet uncovered at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Bring peach preserves, mustard, vinegar, half of garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick and jammy, 8-10 minutes. Keep warm until ready to glaze the chicken.
- Prepare a grill or large grill pan for medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates.
- Grill chicken, turning and basting often with reduced peach glaze, until cooked through, 6–8 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes then slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Reserve remaining glaze for serving.
- Whisk lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, remaining garlic, remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl until combined; season with additional salt if necessary. Toss kale, peaches, tomatoes, basil, mint, parsley, chives, and half of dressing together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, toss with remaining dressing and top with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve chicken over salad with reserved glaze alongside.
If using a large grill pan, grill in batches if necessary.
Want a step-by-step walkthrough of this savory-meets-sweet dinner? Join Rick Martinez on Food52 on Friday, September 17 at 8 p.m. EST for a virtual cooking class. A $130 ticket gives you access to this live virtual event (and recorded video), plus a $50 Misfits Market gift card, exclusive Food52 products, and includes a donation to City Harvest. Click here to learn more and snag your tickets.
To learn more about this and our other co-hosted Food52 events, check out the Food52 experiences page here.