Cucumbers are a surprisingly versatile and often overlooked ingredient. When you’re on autopilot prepping a salad, you’ll probably throw a few slices in there for crunch. But here, they go from supporting role to center stage as the base of the salad. Place thick slices atop a smoky avocado salsa and top with toasted pepitas, red onion, and a sweet sesame dressing. You might as well go ahead and double up on the salsa and the dressing to use later in the week, too. Breakfast burritos and noodle night.Print
Raw Cucumber Salad
- 1 large cucumber, halved lengthwise, de-seeded, and sliced into half moons (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Serrano pepper, de-seeded
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange or pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Pinch of salt
- For the avocado salsa, put all ingredients except avocado in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add avocado and blend again.
- Depending on consistency, add in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s thick but pourable. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Put cucumber slices in a bowl and top with 1/3 cup of the dressing. (The remaining dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.) Toss to cover.
- Add avocado salsa to a plate or a bowl. Cover with dressed cucumbers, pepitas, red onion, and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.