If you’ve got a can of chickpeas and some fresh greens, you’ve got brunch. When it comes to homemade hash, why stick to just potatoes? Here, creamy chickpeas become the base for this filling dish, complete with vibrant rainbow Swiss chard and a homemade spice blend that uses things you likely already have in your pantry. Don’t forget the sunny side egg on top and you’ve got a protein-packed breakfast, brunch, or weekday lunch in minutes.Print
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup onion, diced)
- 3 cups Swiss chard, spinach, or kale, stems removed and roughly choped
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Make the seasoning mix: Put all spices in a small bowl, including salt and pepper. Mix.
- Put oil in a cold pan and bring the heat up to medium-low. Add onion.
- Add chickpeas and seasoning mix to the onions and stir to combine. Add water, just until chickpeas are coated. Add chard and cook, stirring until wilted. Smash some of the chickpeas with the back of a spoon to create a ‘hash’ effect.
- Once warmed through, divide chickpea hash between 4 plates. Poach or fry eggs to your liking, then top on each plate of hash. Serve with a side of hot sauce and enjoy.