We’re always on the lookout for new ways to take our morning smoothies to the next level, and this one takes the date, er, cake! Though we generally eat our dates as-is for a sweet and healthy snack, or wrapped and cooked with fatty bacon, this smoothie recipe just made us rethink how we’ll eat dates forever.
If you like your dates plump and full of natural sweetness, you’re in luck. Our conventionally-grown dates are pesticide-free and full of fiber, protein, and potassium, and lots of and lots of natural sugar. Hence why they’re a great addition to homemade smoothies.Print
- 6 dates, pitted
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or a combination of all three
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 cups water, plus more for soaking dates
- 2 cups water, plus more to soak dates
- In a bowl, soak dates in just enough water to cover them for 30 minutes. (This will soften the dates, making them easier to blend.)
- Drain the water and discard. Add softened dates, carrots, apples, frozen berries, lemon juice, and 2 cups of fresh water to a blender.
- Pulse until smooth and blended, adding more water depending on your preferred texture. Serve immediately and enjoy!