Roasted, shaved, fried, mashed, pickled. There are so many ways to enjoy cauliflower because this cruciferous veggie is a total chameleon. It takes on all the flavors you throw its way. These cauliflower skewers were inspired by the Southeast Asian satay technique, which includes a spiced coconut milk marinade and a sweet-and-salty peanut sauce. But instead of using a more traditional protein like chicken, we’re firing up cauliflower for a veg-friendly take.Print
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 2” pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Limes wedges and cilantro for serving
- 6–8 wooden skewers
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Optional: chopped toasted peanuts for serving
- To make peanut sauce, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Whisk in 2-3 tablespoons of water until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, honey, and fish sauce. Add cauliflower chunks, toss and let marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- On the grill: After cauliflower has been marinated, preheat grill to medium-high. Soak skewers in water for at least 15 minutes to help avoid burning. Remove cauliflower from marinade and thread 4-5 pieces onto each skewer and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle oil over cauliflower and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add skewers to grill, cover, and let cook for 5-6 minutes, until the bottom is beginning to char. Flip the cauliflower, then re-cover the grill for another 5 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from the grill.
- In the oven: After cauliflower has been marinated, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove cauliflower pieces from bowl and place onto a lined baking sheet. Drizzle oil over cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until cauliflower has softened and become golden. While cauliflower is in the oven, soak the wooden skewers in water.
- Remove cauliflower from oven, let cool slightly. Thread 4-5 pieces of cauliflower onto each skewer. Turn oven to broil and broil skewers for 4-6 minutes until cauliflower pieces become lightly charred.
- Serve satay cauliflower skewers immediately with peanut sauce, extra lime wedgess on the side, and cilantro on top.