We’re taking oats beyond oatmeal this month. Way beyond. We’re getting creative since we have all sorts of rescued oats in the Marketplace right now. First up, spiced apple granola with pumpkin seeds. (Next up: savory porridge and risotto. We’ll report back.)
Follow this easy homemade granola recipe, but you can always freestyle with some of the extra ingredients, like the spices. Use what you have. Don’t skip the oats, though, those are pretty important.Print
- 1 large apple, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups rolled oats (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2–3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (depending on sweetness preference)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking sheet and evenly distribute it so it will cook as uniformly as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- When baked, give the granola a final stir and allow it to cool slightly.
- Enjoy granola warm with yogurt and fresh fruit, or allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Refrigerate and enjoy within 1 week.