You’d think that combining earthy carrots with spicy radish, sweet dried cranberries, and smoky cumin would make for an overpowering dish. Think again! Though this crunchy slaw is full of strong flavors, they harmonize together, especially when served alongside more traditional fall dishes like starchy potatoes and hearty root veggies.Print
This bright, no-cook salad has many layers of flavor—among them, smoky, sweet, and tart—that comprise a surprising slaw that you’ll return to time and time again.
4 large carrots
1 cup red or green cabbage, shredded
6 small radishes, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1/2 cup mint, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dried cranberries for garnish
- Clean carrots and remove the leafy tops. (Save tops for a homemade carrot top pesto or to add to your favorite salad.)
- Hold the carrots down, using a cutting board as a sturdy base. Use a vegetable peeler and drag the peeler lengthwise to create long ribbons. Transfer ribbons a large mixing bowl.
- Add shredded red cabbage, radish slices, chopped mint, and scallions to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the produce and gently toss.
- Garnish with dried cranberries, serve, and enjoy!