Whether you’re celebrating the start of summer, enjoying a patriotic long weekend, or just need a new grilling recipe to inspire, consider ditching the meat altogether to try your hand at cauliflower “steaks.” The hardy veg can withstand the grill while the heat brings about its natural nuttiness. Top with a seasonal corn salsa that uses juicy cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro, and be sure to bookmark this recipe for BBQs all summer long.Print
Late-summer grilling never tasted so good! Pair crunchy cauliflower with seasonal tomatoes, corn, and a piquant Mexican spice mix for a smoky, vegetarian-friendly main dish. Before long, you may replace “real” steak with this version in your meal rotation.
1 head of cauliflower
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning*
Salt and pepper to taste
3 ears of corn, shucked
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Juice from 2 limes
*If you don’t have Mexican-style or taco seasoning on hand, you can create your own by combining:
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried onion
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice corn kernels from the cobs and transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Add tomatoes, onions, and cilantro to the mixing bowl and sprinkle with freshly-squeezed lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss gently and set aside.
- Rinse the head of cauliflower and dry thoroughly. Using a large, sharp knife, slice the head into 1- to 2-inch thick “steaks.” Be sure to cut lengthwise from the florets to the stem.
- Preheat a grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, Mexican seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover steaks with the oil-seasoning mix, rubbing the mixture into the florets’ nooks and crannies.
- Place seasoned cauliflower steaks on the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until grill marks darken. Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes and repeat until all pieces are cooked through.
- When ready to serve, top steaks with the corn salsa mixture.