When it comes to BBQs, those center-of-plate proteins—burgers, chicken, and hot dogs—generally get all the attention. But we’re all about the veg-forward side dishes that make cookouts great. And we aren’t talking your average coleslaw, either.
Next time you fire up the grill, add this cool-meets-spicy cucumber salad to the side instead. It’s refreshing and crunchy and has just the right amount of heat.Print
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons za’atar seasoning
- Kosher salt
For the salad:
- 1 English cucumber, skin peeled if desired, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 serrano pepper, thinly sliced into rounds
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, grated garlic, lemon juice, honey, and za’atar until combined. Season with salt to taste.
- In a medium bowl, add cucumbers, onion, and serrano peppers. Pour dressing over salad and carefully toss to coat. Serve immediately, or salad can be made a few hours ahead, covered and refrigerated.