- 1½ cups white wine vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3-inch piece of ginger, slightly smashed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3½ cups watermelon rinds, greens of skin peeled, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water, and sugar. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until sugar has dissolved. Add salt, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns, and cloves to the vinegar mixture and bring to a boil. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer, then add watermelon rinds and cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Set aside and let fully cool.
- Add sliced jalapeños to two 16-ounce glass jars with lids. Divide pickled watermelon rinds between the jars, cover. Chill for at least 24 hours before serving. These are great for snacking or cocktail garnishes! Note: Pickled watermelon rinds will last refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.