- 1 vanilla bean
- 3½ cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup Jasmine rice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg yolk
- Optional toppings: nuts and dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots, mango)
- Slice vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a knife. Add seeds and pod to a medium pot.
- Add milk, sugar, salt, and rice to the pot with the vanilla and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once simmering, turn heat down to low and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is similar to a thin risotto.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in remaining spices. Then, mix in egg yolk until well combined.
- Transfer rice pudding into a baking dish or container (the larger the container, the faster it will cool) and let cool slightly on the counter. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until rice pudding has fully cooled, 30-40 minutes.
- Divide rice pudding into bowls and sprinkle the top with a little more cinnamon before serving. Enjoy!