The ultimate plant-based BBQ sliders to win over any meat lover.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 teaspoons applewood smoked seasoning
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of choice (preferably smoked)
- 1/2 cup mayo (can use vegan mayo)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce (more or less depending on heat preferences)
- 1 red onion (sliced thin)
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- Pickled Onions: Slice onions, and place inside an airtight jar.
- In a bowl, stir together remaining ingredients until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into the jar, making sure it covers all of the onions and set in the fridge overnight, or up to 1 week.
- Pulled Squash: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice squash lengthwise and remove seeds with a fork.
- Coat the inside of the squash halves with the dry seasoning. Place halves skin side up on a baking sheet filled with 1/4 inch of water and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until tender.
- Leave oven on. Allow squash to cool enough to comfortably “pull apart” the strands using a fork to create stringy pieces, then use a spoon to scoop and remove all the flesh from the skin
- In a bowl, mix together the BBQ sauce and squash until squash is evenly coated with sauce.
- Return the squash to the baking sheet (pour out any excess water) and spread in an even thin layer. Bake for 18-21 minutes to dry it out a bit and add more texture.
- In the meantime, stir together Sriracha and mayo.
- Toast buns by buttering and setting on a pan preheated to medium high. Toast until golden (about 3 minutes or so)
- Assemble away, spreading the Sriracha mayo on the buns, layering the squash, then pickled onions.