Not all salads need a bed of lettuce. In fact, we prefer ours with unexpected veggies, ones that often get neglected in the back of the fridge. This refreshing salad utilizes crunchy radishes—both red and watermelon varieties, though any would work—and crisp cucumbers. It’s bright. It’s flavorful. And it calls for an easy walnut- and herb-based topping that adds even more crunch and flavor. Serve it alongside your favorite summer staples or make it the hero by adding more veggies like onions and tomatoes.Print
- 2 cups radishes, thinly shaved or sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly shaved or sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped, plus whole leaves for serving
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Make the gremolata: In a small bowl, combine walnuts, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange radish and cucumber slices on a serving plate. Spoon walnut gremolata over top and finish with Parmesan shavings and extra mint leaves. Serve immediately.